If you are hurt at work, workers compensation insurance can help ensure your full recovery. However, workers compensation is oftentimes complicated and thanks to a myriad of myths, misunderstood. Although it’s hopeful you’ll never require workers compensation, it is important that you have the facts if such an event occurs. Take a look at important workers compensation baltimore md facts below.
1. All Maryland companies with five or more employees must carry workers compensation insurance. Any company that does not carry coverage must pay a fine of up to $10,000. You must ensure that your employer carries workers compensation insurance in order to file a claim.
2. It doesn’t matter who is at fault for the accident, workers compensation coverage still converge the cost of medical bills, rehabilitation and sometimes, lost ages. You won’t even need to pass a drug test to use this insurance coverage.
3. You must report any accident or injury to your supervisor/shift manager immediately. There are time limits and constraints in mind that could limit your claims process.
4. The accident needn’t occur on the worksite to qualify you for workers compensation benefits. For example, if you are driving a vehicle for the company and sustain an accident while out and about, your injuries may be covered.
5. Only part-time and full-time employees qualify for benefits offered by workers compensation. Independent contractors and others are eligible for workers comp benefits.
6. Workers compensation insurance coverage does not cover every type of injury a person may sustain while on the job, but does cover the majority of them.
7. Most people need experienced lawyers to help them when their workers compensation claim is denied. There are many reasons why a claim may be denied, any of which an experienced attorney can help you overcome.